Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Go suck a lemon...

When I was a kid and had a wall to wall grin on my face I would sometimes be told I needed to suck a lemon to get the grin off.

Well this weekend we had our big yard sale. "The Motorcycle Yard Sale". All my motorcycles, parts, tools, memorabilia, books and clothing were on the block. This was a major step in our plan to sell the house and hit the road.

Some of this stuff went back 40 years and it was going to be tough to part with.

I invited a select audience. Friends from the BMW club, the San Diego Antique Motorcycle Club and the Gold Wing Road Riders Association chapter of San Diego.
I considered putting an ad on Craigslist but we had hot dogs and adult beverages in the back yard for everyone and I didn't think having strangers wandering around the house looking for the bathroom was a good idea and didn't place the ad.

I was so busy that I didn't get a chance to take any pictures but it was BUSY!

The "Star" of the sale was a 1970 BMW R75/5 that I had nearly finished restoring before running out of enthusiasm. I had calls 2 weeks ahead of the sale wanting to come look and make an offer but I stuck to my guns and said "No". I didn't want to upset friends by selling stuff before the event. As it turned out most people said they appreciated that.

The sale was to start at 9am. I was out setting up at 7am and one hopeful character showed up at 8am. He helped me set up and looked over the bike at the same time. The next guy showed up at 8.30am and a third at 8.50am. My problem was how to sort out who got it! At 9am I asked the first guy if he was willing to pay my asking price and he was. The second guy generously said he would stand aside and let him have it and the third guy was hoping for a bargain and stepped out too. The bike sold at 9.01 am for my asking price and the happy new owner loaded it up. He spotted another couple of things he wanted, paid up and was gone! Wow, I was a happy camper. So was he.

All morning long I was being asked for prices on anything and everything. They had the run of my garage and I told them I wanted to sell everything down to the walls and we darned near did it! Neighbors dropped by to see the show, people came and went and by 7 pm the last part was loaded in my truck and delivered to the last buyer.

It was a LONG day but fun, our rig even got "Tagged" with a BMW club sticker so they could identify it if they pass us on the road somewhere in the future.
I sold 5 motorcycles, nearly all my tools, all the BMW parts and nearly all of my books and memorabilia.
Luckily I still have 4 motorcycles that I have to do some work on to increase their value, but I planned on that happening.

We had hot dogs left over but not a lot else. Far from being a depressing day I found great comfort in the fact that my friends valued my "collection" as much as I did and it was all going to a good home. Several people told me that if I came back to San Diego after full timing they would be glad to sell things back to me for what they paid. True friends.

And at the end of the day we made TWICE what we thought we would make!
The only way I would be able to get the smile off my face?


  1. One of the biggest steps to actually becoming a full-timer is what you are doing now. Some people never get there as they cannot part with their "stuff" to which they are so emotionally attached. To divest yourself of worldly "stuff" is almost a spiritual experience. But what a joyful feeling of freedom when you finally get rid of the last piece and head out on the road!

  2. Robert thanks for the comment, we are struggling less and less with letting things go as we sell more and get closer to the "Bid Day". Barbara still has some anxiety to get over but I think she can do it.
    The main thing is making a plan in plenty of time and sticking with the plan